Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What others think...


There was a time in my life when I cared a considerable amount about what people thought about me. I often let that concern take over my life and the decisions I made, whether or not it made me happy or not. There always seemed a little voice in the back of my head that asked, “What would so and so think about this?”

Maybe I’ve learned over the years that you can’t worry about what other people think, that you can’t please everyone. But I’d like to believe that it’s because I’m now accepting of who I am. In fact, I really like who I am and to admit that is a huge step for me.

Getting to this point was not easy. I know counseling helped a lot but I’ve also done a lot of self reflection and I’ve realized that when it comes to what others think about me, I can’t worry about it. At least not in the ways I used to.

People’s reaction to my engagement made me think about this and just how much my mindset has changed. I knew there would be people who thought it would be too soon. Those people are welcome to their opinion but they are wrong. I know that if that’s how they feel, then they don’t know me, Chris and our relationship.

So, I chose not to focus on those people. Instead, I’m celebrating with my family and friends who know how happy I am and how right all of this is. That’s what I focus on. That’s what I care about.

I’m 32 years old and finally ready to make decisions about myself, for myself without worrying who I am offending and who I am pleasing. And if someone doesn’t like it, it’s ok with me. I’m not worrying about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment