Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Introducing Me



“Some boys take a beautiful girl and hide her away from the rest of the world/ I want to be the one to walk in the sun/ Oh girls, they wanna have fun. Oh girls just wanna have fun.” – Cyndi Lauper

I know what you’re thinking…the world doesn’t need another blog. And you’re probably right. But I’m going to write one anyway! As a recently divorced, single mom who is currently unemployed, I’ve got a TON to say and unloading it all out onto the World Wide Web just seems like a good idea.

While my description of myself may seem like I’ve got lots to complain about and will probably turn this blog into a whiny pity party, believe me, I won’t. I’m actually far more optimistic and happy then I ever thought I’d be in my current position.

I would say the worst part is being unemployed, but to be honest, I would be lying. I realized today all of the things I can accomplish while my daughter, Peyton, is at preschool. I cleaned the entire house top to bottom, did my P90X workout, took my adorable dog Maggie for a two-mile walk, watched Bethenny Ever After and even had time to shop at Target. And if I were working, I would never have had the time to do all of those things in a week, let alone a morning and afternoon. Don’t get me wrong – I need a job! But, I’m going to appreciate the time while I have it!

Being divorced isn’t so bad either, other than the fact that I still have to see my ex on a regular basis. Good for Peyton, bad for me. Of course, I’ll never let her know what I really think about her dad. Besides, if I did, she’d just yell at me and tell me that I’m using bad words. Not that I’m not ever tempted. Especially when he does something stupid. Which is often.

Being a single mom is good or bad, depending on the day. Being a mom is always great and a job that I cherish. I love that I get so much time with Peyton, just the two of us. We’ve got a really special bond and I am thankful for that every day. Then there are the times when she tries to flex her little four-year-old independence. It’s not always easy to be the only disciplinarian, care taker, entertainer and teacher. Thankfully, I’ve got a great support system or I might just lose my mind.

Which brings me to the Cyndi Lauper quote and my starting the blog with it. I heard the song not to long ago and those lines resonated with me. For so long, I felt so trapped in my life. I feel like I can walk in the sun again finally. And I plan on having lots of fun. Because I’m a girl that’s what we wanna do!

1 comment:

  1. way to go girl! While I can't resonate with the divorce part, I do with the single mom aspect. Good for you for putting it into words and for having such a positive outlook!

    ReplyDelete