Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Remembering 9/11


I hate to admit when I am wrong, but I’m going to do it publicly right now. Several afternoons ago, I was complaining to my mom about why our troops are still in the Middle East, why they haven’t been brought back yet, because really, what were we accomplishing anymore?

And then a few days later came the news of Osama bin Laden’s death. I really didn’t believe that we would ever see this day. As someone who was in New York City on September 11, 2001, I was hoping we would, but didn’t think it was really possible.

I can still remember that entire day so vividly, as I’m sure most of us do. I think about it every time someone mentions New York City. I was only there for 2 weeks before the attacks took place and I was not wild about living there. But I will always feel a connection to that city and to the people that I spent that day with. It’s impossible to explain how it felt to watch out of a window as the second plane came flying in and watching the towers fall. They are the same images that we all have seen hundreds of times, only instead of being framed by a TV screen, mine are framed by my Brooklyn apartment window.

That day changed my life in ways that I am not fully realizing until now. I know that my life would be incredibly different if I had stayed in New York. But, I fully believe, and always have, that everything happens for a reason. Sitting in church this weekend, that belief was strengthened.

A young man who was just graduating from college gave the homily and I have to say, it was one of the best homilies that I have ever heard. He spoke about God having a plan for all of us, even if we aren’t aware of it. He is always there, guiding us and helping us in ways we may not expect.

I know that I ask God often for more patience with my precocious little girl (and I still need a lot of it!), hoping somehow that she’ll settle down a little bit. And then I realize, she is God’s way of giving me more patience. I need to learn how to be more patience and by being her mom, that’s how I’m going to do it. Of course, it’s not that simple, but nothing that’s worth achieving usually is. And I certainly don’t want to change her outgoing personality. So, to me, that’s God’s answer to my request.

I’m not sure what God’s plan was for Osama bin Laden and why it took us so long to find him. But I am so thankful for the troops who have spent the past ten years searching for him, not giving up on finding him the way the rest of us may have. They have all been fighting a war I know that I would never be brave enough to fight.  So, thank you to all of the troops. I hope they feel some vindication now for all of the sacrifices they have had to make.  

No comments:

Post a Comment