Monday, November 7, 2011

Giving Thanks...a bit early!


So I’ve been seeing a lot of posts on Facebook about things that people are thankful for, as we get closer to that wonderful holiday we all know as Thanksgiving. I’ve noticed that most of the stores that I’ve been in this week have completely skipped this holiday and headed straight for the flashier one that comes next month.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas as much as the next person, but I love Thanksgiving just as much because it involves two of my favorite things: Food and family. So, I’m going to jump on the bandwagon and share some of the things that I’m thankful for this month, which as you’ll soon find out, consists mainly of food and family!

I feel I need to point out that these are in no particular order, lest someone be offended that you aren’t first on the list! :)

1. I’m thankful for the little kids in my life.

I’m blessed to have an amazing daughter that makes me laugh at the ideas that come into that little four-year-old head of hers, which also scares me sometimes too. She’s so smart and I see a lot of trouble in my future, but I’m so thankful I was blessed with such a great kid.

And then there’s my new nephew. He’s really put what is important in life in perspective for me. And given me baby fever at the same time. I could literally sit and hold him all day long. He’s beyond precious and his aunt can’t wait to spoil him! I'm grateful for every minute I get to spend making that little boy smile. 

Speaking of nephews (and nieces), I’m gaining five new ones with my upcoming marriage that I feel so lucky to have in my life. I enjoy my time with them so much and hope the novelty of their new aunt doesn’t wear off anytime soon! They are such special kids to me.

2. I’m thankful for my fiancée. I honestly don’t know what I would do without him. He’s truly a special person and he really proved that to me the other day when he told me that he loves me even when I’m in my “crabby” mood. And let’s just say, “crabby” was no the word that was used and his word really is a better description. Those of you who know me, know what that means! He truly loves me for the good and the bad. I don’t know what I did to deserve him, but I’m thankful every day that I somehow snatched him up!

3. I’m thankful for my parents. Anyone who knows them knows how awesome they are. They are two of the greatest people that I have ever known and if I can be half the parent that they are, I will think myself successful. I know that no matter what, they are there for me. Having a support system like is such a blessing. I honestly don’t ever think I’ll be able to thank them enough for what they do for my daughter and me.

4. I'm thankful for my family. From my grandma, my aunts and uncles, my cousins and my soon to be in-laws, I have the best family in the world. Every moment that I get to spend with any of them is usually so much fun, I know that if we weren't family, these are people that I would want as my friends. They are all so awesome.

5. I’m thankful for my friends. I truly believe that I have the best friends in the world. I hope everyone feels that way because having a good friend makes all the difference. You need people in your life that you feel that you can count on and I truly feel that I have far more than I deserve. New or old, I’m truly blessed for every friend I have in my life.

6. I’m thankful for my job. I didn’t know what to expect when I started out on this new business venture, but I didn’t expect to be where I am today. I love what I’m doing and it still gives me time with my daughter. There is no bigger blessing then that.

7. I’m thankful for food. Not in the way that you may think, though. I love to eat and eat really tasty things. As of this Thanksgiving, I’ll have been a vegetarian for 2 years, a change in my lifestyle that I’m very proud of. I did a lot of reading and education myself in making that decision and I still continue to do so.

I’m currently reading a book that has again changed my viewpoint on food and what we eat. It’s a book about eating local and eating in season, including fruits, vegetables and meat. Taking some advice from this book, I chose to buy eggs today that were not only cage free, but pasture-raised, which is a huge difference. I love to keep hardboiled eggs around the house for a snack and I had one today. Not only is the difference in the name, it’s in the taste. They were the best eggs I have ever had. I’m thankful there are now becoming more options for eating great food in ways that are not harmful to animals or our environment, which essentially affects us all. So think about that when you’re preparing that Thanksgiving dinner! :)

And most of all, I’m thankful for every day I get to spend on this earth with the people that I love. I’m trying to slow down and enjoy each day for what it is and I plan on continuing to be thankful for every blessing in my life. And I fully plan on enjoying all that this holiday has to offer: Food and family and hopefully lots of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment