Thursday, June 2, 2011

Pop Culture Obsessions


On long car trips, I love to play a game where we hear a song and you have to guess who sings it. Playing this with my dad, he’s unstoppable at the 60s and 70s. After this weekend, I realize that I am pretty awesome at the 80s until now. Chris and I played this game while we were driving around and I, not so humbly, kicked his rear. I’ve always known that I’ve had a ton of useless information in my head, wondering if there was ever a good use for it. Apparently there is: Impressing my fiancée! Other than that, my pop culture obsessions really don’t do me or anyone else much good. Unless of course you are going on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and need a lifeline!

So, I thought I’d share some of my favorite pop culture obsessions of the moment and my thoughts on them.

MOVIES
In the past couple of weeks, I’ve seen 2 really stellar movies: Bridesmaids and The Hangover 2. I love to laugh and a good comedy is my favorite kind of movie. You can’t lose with either one and I guarantee that these are two movies that get funnier every time you watch them. Kristin Wiig and Zach Galifianakis are genius. I’m still laughing about Alan being a “stay-at-home-son.” Comedy gold.

There are so many movies I’m dying to see this summer: the final Harry Potter, Crazy Stupid Love, The Help, Super 8, The Change-Up, One Day and Horrible Bosses. It’s going to be a great summer for movies!

MUSIC
Right now I’m currently obsessed with Adele. For one, her music is soul stirring and beautiful. Secondly, my daughter knows the words to her songs and listening to her sing “Turning Tables” and “Rolling in the Deep” is beyond cute.

The new Beastie Boys record is of course awesome. They’ve been my favorite since I heard “You’ve Got To Fight For Your Right” back in second grade and to this day, they never fail to excite me.

And Britney, good ole Britney Spears is on the top of my playlist. Her new CD is great and I’m going to see her in concert in July so I’ve got a lot of new songs to learn (and dance too!)

TV
Summer is definitely not the best time for TV, as most of my favorites are on hiatus, but I find that there’s still some great shows for me to DVR. The Voice, which feeds my music obsession as I’ve been downloading lots of songs from the show (namely Javier Colon’s version of “Time After Time”) I love the judges. They are so entertaining and actually provide good advice. And the singers blow anyone from American Idol out of the water. If you haven’t watched it yet, give it a try. The live competition starts next week!

I also love any version of the Real Housewives. Currently, New York, New Jersey and Orange County are all airing and I can’t get enough! These women are crazy and watching them makes me realize just how normal I am. Because sometimes, frankly, I wonder. But, they put it in perspective for me!
Say Yes To The Dress and Four Weddings on TLC never fail to entertain me. I love seeing the dresses that people choose and how catty some of the people they bring along are. It never fails to surprise me when someone tells a bride she looks fat or ugly and they would never be caught dead in that dress. It’s ridiculous. Who says that to a bride? No one I know! And Four Weddings is a whole other story. It’s basically turning a wedding into a competition. Forget that you are pledging yourself to another person. It’s really all about whether you have good food or the best centerpieces so you can get a higher score! Stupid but entertaining!

And of course, I’m waiting for my summer shows to begin, including Big Brother, Psych, and Royal Pains. I need something to watch during naptime when I should be cleaning!

BOOKS
Here are a few books that I’ve read recently that I love that would be great summer reads for anyone!
 1.     
      The Hunger Games trilogy. Brilliant. I loved the Twilight series, but this trilogy blows it out of the water.
2.     
One Day by David Nicholls. The best love story that I have ever read and my second favorite book of all time. Also coming out as a movie later this summer.

3.     The newest Sookie Stackhouse book by Charlaine Harris. If you haven’t read any of this series, start now! The True Blood show is based on them and they are terrifically entertaining!

4.     Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me. Hilarious, as all of her books are! If you want a good, trashy laugh, this ones for you!

I realize that I could go on writing about everything I love in TV, movies, books and music, but it’s a beautiful day. So, I’m going to head outside, lay in the sun and get back to reading A Visit from The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. Enjoy my list and tell me if you have any suggestions for me! I’d hate to be missing out on something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment